Tuesday, May 25, 2010

From 0 to Hero

Well, I thought I would blog on a experiment I did to gain 10 kgs of mostly muscle last year.

At the time, I weighed 75kg and was the epitome of awesome as you can tell from the below photo (sarcasm).

So, I have been skinny my whole life and have tried numerous things to put on weight. A lot of things that everyone recommend to me were lift weights, eat a steak everyday, drink weight gain shakes and eat heaps of junk food which was a funny one.

But none of these worked, so I was a happy chappy as you can tell. I look quiet enthused.

       

After chatting with a buddy of mine who weighed 96kgs and could bench press 140kg 6 (reps) times I change a few things. What did we talk about? Lifting weight? not really, how to swing a hoolahoop around your hips properly, nah. But, that would have been funny.
What we talked about was my diet. His main questions revolved around how many calories I was eating. I guessed around 2.5k calories. 

He chuckled, which was slightly annoying.

He said I need to eat a lot more food. I need to eat 4000 calories a day. Not just any type of calories, they had to be clean calories. So, no junk food at all. I know it's obvious, eat more to put on more weight. But, I needed the proof from someone who had done it. Not just your average person who doesn't know shit about weight gain. 

I have some direction, now I'm happy. I celebrate by wearing a towel on my head.




By the way, I wasn't talking to that guy.


This conversation happened exactly 1 month into a 3 month weight lifting program I had designed for my self. 
After 1 month I was still in the same position as I was when I started. There was some small changes, but nothing big.

I could:
Benchpress : 40kg
Deadlift : 35kg
Squat : 30kg
Whinge a lot : 99999

Weighed 75kg

So with 2 months left I started eating 4000 calories. 
The results were fantastic.


I immediately exploded in the amount of weight I could push out and my muscle size grew at a phenomenal rate.
I went from 0 to Hero. 
( Those red dots on my back are from 13 spider bites)




Looking good eh?

Well, I look like a have some muscles which was the result I wanted.

So, how much could I lift and how much did I weigh?
Benchpress : 85kg, 8 reps.
Deadlift : 87.5kg 11 reps
Squat : 110kg 5 reps
Awesomeness : 99999
I weighed 85kg of muscle. I put on 10kg in 2 months.! (without stretchmarks).

So if your skinny and wearing a towel on your head and want to get big? Eat a lot of food.

If you want ideas for food, leave a comment and I see if can remember some stuff.

So what's next?




Side note : Thanks for Jacques for pointing an article that goes through in more detail. I highly recommend it.

8 comments:

  1. Totally sick. Sharing similar genes I have found the exact same thing, get your food on, do lots of compound weights exercises... get big.

    Brothers don't let brothers lift lightweight.. hhooooooo.

    What type of weight training were you doing?

    In summary, awesome stuff!! But now you are taller than me AND can lift some bigger weights, I gotta find something to lick you on. *Runs to the gym* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post ;) I hope you still wear that singlet though. I did notice you looked like you could rip my head off with your bare hands the last time I bumped into you in the Perth, which I recalled thinking, was a new development. Well done!

    You're lucky you talked to someone who wasn't full of shit too, it's like a 1 in 100 chance ;) If you're interested there's a very good article by a very good authority here: http://startingstrength.com/articles/novice_effect_rippetoe.pdf

    That's on the exercise side of things. As far as Rippetoe's statements on diet are concerned, I gather he says eat a lot, and make it high quality. For total skinny guys he recommends GOMAD - gallon of milk a day, which is... quite a lot. You're obviously past that point in any case... but imagine drinking 4L of milk... a day. Shit. Though milk is awesome ;) Under the resources part of his site there are a bunch of really good articles on strength training if you're interested - from several perspectives, but no bullshit, which is unusual in the industry. His book is also gold.

    Anyway, well done again, and thanks for the post :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Adam, I think you'd really dig the book Jacques is talking about, no crap.. good bio-mechanics for good technique to lift big weight well.
    http://startingstrength.com/index.php/site/products

    ReplyDelete
  4. lol, good stuff.

    I will share my work out with you via google, I did up a spreadsheet.

    Lightweight, hooo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks guys!!!!

    I'll check it out now.

    I can share thee spreadsheet to you Jac if you like.

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adam,
    I came across your blog via the comment you posted on Nate Green's blog. I am still struggling with gaining weight even if I increased my calories. What is the ratio of fats/protein/carbs? Even better if you can share a sample day's meal plan.

    Cheers!!
    John

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gday, John

    Thanks for the post.

    If you're eating up to 3.5k to 4k calories a day and still not putting weight on you will need to go to the doctor to see why.

    Bah, but the disclaimer aside.

    4 times times a day I'm drinking 60 grams of protein shake (WPI).

    I constantly eat throughout the day a nut and berry mix of sultanas, almonds, brazil nut, cranberries and goji berries. (be careful with brazil nuts and goji berries, you can only eat around 10 of them each day)

    Breakfast :

    2 x tub of yoghurt (175 grams each)
    2 x bananas
    1 x apple
    6 x weetbix
    1 x bacon and egg roll
    2 x peach slices (275 grams each)
    1 or 2 breakfast bars

    Mid Morning Snack:

    2 or 3 breakfast bars
    1 x apple or banana

    Lunch:

    Any type of burger or meat pie with chips (or fries as they're know in America)
    Also throw in a small can of tuna. Or something similar to what Nate made for $17.
    (The pie/burger and chips were always healthy, I got it from a particular store in my city)

    Mind afternoon snack:
    5 or 6 crackers with cheese
    1 x breakfast bar
    1 x tuna sandwhich

    Dinner:
    Whatever I cook that night, it was always a large meal.

    After dinner snack :

    Eat a potato with cheese, or something to make up the rest of the calories.

    You will need to count every calorie that you eat, and make sure you eat up to 4,000 calories a day. If you're eating 4,000 calories you will put on weight. I'm not going to breakdown to fats/protein/carbs as that is too high level. I don't think you should even think about the breakdown until you get into the cutting phase.

    My advice, just start eating, as long as it's healthy you should be fine.

    You will need to go to the gym and lift heavy weights to convert this to muscle.

    If you think you will have problems with this diet, talk to your doctor or don't do it.

    Best regards

    Adam

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Adam for your sample day's meal plan. I was at 4500 calories but the only carbs in my diet were post workout. Let me try this and see how it works out. Subscribed to your feed so looking forward to reading good stuff.

    Cheers!!
    John

    ReplyDelete

COMMENT RULES: Critical posts are fine, but if you're rude we'll delete your stuff. Please do not put your URL in the comment text and please use your personal name or initials and not your business name, as the latter comes off like spam. Have fun and thanks for adding to the conversation! (Thanks to Tim Ferriss for the inspiration.)